Thursday, April 29, 2010

the ants go marching


Did I mention we're learning about bugs this month? Can you even resist these little guys. Not only cute but earth friendly too since they are crafted from egg cartons. We read Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg and Hey Little Ant by Philip and Hannah Hoose prior to and after this project. You will need an egg carton, black or red paint, black or red pipe cleaners (or chenille stems as I've learned they're called in the craft store), googly eyes and glue. Cut your egg carton into three sectioned pieces (head, thorax, abdomen...Oh! I know a really cute song!) and let your child decide if he/she wants to make a red ant or a black ant. Paint the entire thing and let it dry. Once it is dry, I poked holes for the legs and antennae. I also threaded the legs through because when Kate tried to do her ants legs she ended up tearing the egg carton. It was a wee bit too difficult for five and under. I forgot to mention, we used three longer sections of pipe cleaners instead of six small ones. I found the six smalls ones tended to fall out too easily. The preschoolers were able to handle putting the antennae in though. The last step is to glue on some googly eyes and they're done. Ready to march across your kitchen table or on into a picnic. These are adorable if you have a whole lot because you know the kids want to act out the stories with them.

And here's the song. I know you didn't ask but you really do want to know this song.

Head, Thorax, Abdomen (sung to Head, shoulders, knees and toes)

Head, Thorax, Abdomen, Abdomen
Head, Thorax, Abdomen, Abdomen
Six legs, two antennae, and an exoskeleton
Head, Thorax, Abdomen, Abdomen

2 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

I love these little creatures! They can come to my picnic any time!

I heart said...

How cute are those?????